Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 16:17:37 EEST

>i am very excited by steve's re-presentation of the plugin
>GUI-as-separate-process idea.

I actually wished we would have defined such a good plug-in GUI system
that I would be able to implement the host GUI with it.

 -*-

I too suggest the pipe as the IPC method.

I have been writing a message system which can deliver messages
between processes (threads). There will be several processes in
a wave editor and a few in the engine. Because some processes can
be child processes and child's child processes, the message system
should handle addressing, message interleaving and priorities. (Even
in the case of threads and common memory, some kind of abstraction
should be implemented, otherwise the code becomes kludge.)
A plug-in would be one of the all child processes.

The host could have standard services, and the plug-in should be
able to check if they exists. For example, given an input region
in the wave editor to the reverb plug-in, the reverb should be
able to adjust the output region in the wave editor according
to the reverberation time.

The interaction between the plug-ins and the host should be continuous.
Typically in MS Windows a plug-in may deny any access the host.
For example, I were not able to adjust the selection/input region for
a reverb plug-in after the plug-in was running.

Juhana