Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 05:11:04 EEST

FWIW I thought that I would bring up one of my ideas again. I like
the idea of having 'multiple' GUI configurations, say for example
'General' or 'Advanced'. This gives the user the ability to use a
simple version that say just selects between presets ( Like my
hardware effects of the CFX12 Mixer ) or in the advanced case, goes
down to many individual settings (Like Patches on my 2101DSP).

For something like this you would need to make control ports groupable
with multiple groups and have control of which are visable. This
requires a bit of dynamic control over the GUI, instead of having a
static setup defined at initialization.

Now, as far as multiple GUI Toolkits for plug-ins, this really is a
question of how much you want a plug-in to define its own interface.
My understanding is that the XML explains how to set-up the GUI and
its up the app designer thats calling the plugins to implement the
interface. On one hand I see that allowing multiple GUI Toolkits
makes a wider array of possibilities and allows programmers to use
their skills where they know them best, but on the other hand, I feel
that one of the problems with Linux is a general lack of standards.
There are a TON of toolkits, and every author likes to use different
ones. I would not want to install an entire toolkit just to use one
plugin! By limiting to a single toolkit in the overall tool, we at
least standardize the interface across as much of it as possible.

Rick