Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables
From: brian redfern (nutmeggatron_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 00:27:31 EEST

 Best bet here would be to use the mini-disc d-a converter listed on the usb devices site, plussing in the dat instead of the md

  "D. Marcus Johnson" <schwaahed_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
Maybe this can be made to work:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
device overview
audio
Opcode Sonic Port

It seems that some one has got this at least
partiailly working.

--- Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Alexia called home from New York last night (She's
> visiting there for the week) and asked me if I knew
> of any laptop computers that had S/PDIF IO ports on
> them. I told her that I'd ask here, if it's ok?
>
> She's in NY with her laptop and DAT recorder with no
> way to get audio off of the DAT and onto the laptop,
> without needing the workstation at home here to
> transfer. What she wants is to bypass the DAT
> recorder altogether and just use the computer for
> recording.
>
> As far as I know, there are no laptops that have
> decent enough sound systems to record with? But, we
> realized that SPDIF would work with a little extra
> added on the side.
>
> Now I know that a few are grinning, thinking about
> us trying to get a laptop to do this? I know it's
> easily within Ms Massalin's abilities to do this, if
> we can find a laptop that has digital I/O like this.
> The hardware part is pretty easy, we have the parts
> around here already and both of us can design and
> put together that part. Alexia won't have much of a
> problem programming to the SPDIF ports if there is
> some kind of documentation on where they are in I/O
> space.
>
> So, if anyone knows of any decent laptops with SPDIF
> ins and outs, we would really appreciate the help.
> I told her that we should probably not even try to
> use a PCMCIA card that did this(we're using linux).
>
> Thanks, Tracey who had way too much Linux last night
> and is going to go out to the greenhouse to do some
> work.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

This message was
sent by