Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 20:33:11 EEST

On Thursday 29 March 2001 11:20, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
> > >So I am saying that the creation of strongly customized user
> > > interfaces is best left to the plugin programmer, completely
> > > unlimited by any XML-spec.
> >
> > If you can suggest a way to do this (see my other message about
> > this), it would be great to hear. Unfortunately, the
> > proliferation of GUI toolkits doesn't make this easy.
>
> from the cozy warmth of my asbestos overall, may i ask:
> if simebody thinks their plugin needs its very own GUI that cannot
> be represented by any xml abstraction, why not write it with
> whatever toolkit is preferred and link it statically ?
> this way, everybody can do what they like best, and OTOH the severe
> bloat would be a nice motivation to boil it down to a simple
> standard gui.

Well, this actually seems to be the only way...

No one is going to accept a single standard GUI toolkit, and not even
a standard rendering target (X, fbdev, GGI, SDL,...) so we're just
going to have to put up with porting or rewriting GUIs for all
plugins that won't run on our favourite platforms. It doesn't get
better than than on Un*x-like pratforms, it seems.

Thus, linking statically with the *DSP plugin* is *totally* out of
the question, especially for closed source plugins. The GUI has to be
implemented in a separate piece of code; either a GUI plugin or a
stand-alone executable.

I don't see any other acceptable ways of doing it, and I also don't
see an obvious choice for the GUI<->DSP plugin interface, at least
not for LADSPA, and I'm beginning to feel that it's pointless to
specify such a protocol for MAIA - people will probably cook up all
sorts of custom solutions anyway...

Don't know; there just seems to be too many tools and design styles
around to keep it all inside some useful standard framework.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'