Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 14:05:45 EEST

>>The sampling rate issue is always a bit tricky. Hmm, maybe we should just
>>pass the engine sampling rate in the client->init() call and plugins would
>>be required to use that.
>
> Yes, absolutely. the plugins should check the rate during their init
> function, and if they can't use it, its their problem. On pro-audio
> h/w, its possible that even the server can't change the rate (at least
> not without annoying the user).

This has been bugging me for a while (as you probably know ;-).

OK..

given that one set of connected audio hardware will have to run at a single
rate (let's assume we don't try any fancy rate matching):

there would have to be one instance of the server for each sample rate in
the system (maybe you have a cheap & nasty card for 'beeps & pops' and two
multi-channel Pro PCM cards word-clock clocked for studio use).

I vote that the setting of the sample rate (if possible, or recognition of
it - if set externally) is part of the _server_ API. This means that is it
_explicit_ to the user(s) that there is only one place to control the SR.

Perhaps it would be wise to have a callback to the plugs that says
"sample-rate-has-changed" - because in externally-clocked applications this
may happen whether we like it or not.

Apologies if I missed something (I've tried to follow the thread, but a bit
bogged down in other work)...

ciao,
Iain.