Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationof audio component

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationof audio component
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 23:27:47 EEST

> I have to say that my aim is more ambitious: reusable audio components.
>
> - audio file format encoder/decoders
> - audio file dropout free reader/writer
> - FX
> - visual scopes
> - etc.
>
> I think that now we have enough experience (distributed on several
> brains, as we like it ;-) to design an architecture that permit all this
> and I'm sure that this would bring great benefits for consumer audio and
> *huge* benefits for professional audio.
>
> I think that you can help yourself to understand the impact of such an
> architecture making a parallel with the impact of pipes on Unix world.

This is a great vision. I think that many of us are simply questioning
whether the alsa api is the correct location for this.

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org
>
> Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!
> ------
> To unsubscribe from <alsa-devel_AT_alsa-project.org> mailing list send message
> 'unsubscribe' in the body of message to <alsa-devel-request_AT_alsa-project.org>.
> BUG/SMALL PATCH REPORTING SYSTEM: http://www.alsa-project.org/cgi-bin/bugs

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |