Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationof audio component

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationof audio component
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 13:29:52 EEST

Jim Peters wrote:

> Okay, agreed.
>
> > GUI visual scope
> > +------||-----------||-------------------------------------+
> > | audio_producer1 ----\ |
> > | audio_producer2 -----\ /-- audio_consumer1 |
> > | > engine < |
> > | audio_producer3 -----/ \-- audio_consumerN |
> > | audio_producerN ----/ |
> > +-------||-----------------------------------||------------+
> > appl file writer thread
>
> I think I understand the direction you're coming from now. This is
> the same approach that Paul has been taking in AES. I'm guessing that
> you intend that an audio producer might write to any audio consumer at
> any moment, without much warning.

No, I intend that generally only engine pass data from producers to
consumers.

However a producer may ask data to other producer (generally not visible
to engine). Same for consumer.

All is engine driven: i.e. audio is obtained from producer first, then
elaborated and passed to consumers one unit at a time.

> As to whether the ALSA API is appropriate for use within the process,
> I'm still very doubtful, but I'm wondering if I should try to read up
> on the details of this. Is there any documentation up-to-date enough
> to be useful for me to read ?

All documentation is up-to-date and embedded in source.
You can generate it using:
doxygen doxygen.cfg
in alsa-lib/doc directory (the generated documentation goes in
alsa-lib/doc/doxygen/html)

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!