Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationofaudio component

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Toward a modularizationofaudio component
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 01:14:49 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> In your model Abramo, what will happen if someone writes a 16bit,
> >> interleaved stereo component and tries to use it with an engine that
> >> uses 32bit non-interleaved float? Will there be an error, or just
> >> silent data format conversion?
> >
> >Error, of course (on params negotiation).
>
> bwahahahahaha! :))
>
> "params negotiation"? you're suggesting that every component in this
> audio system uses the ALSA parameter negotiation system? pardon me,
> but the *entire* point of a system like LAAGA is abstraction. the ALSA
> params model is *necessary* when dealing with audio hardware. its a
> complete monstrosity when dealing with software plugins. in the
> proposed API's for LAAGA, there are no parameters except for the
> engine passing the maximum number of frames it will pass to the
> process() callback of a plugin. plugins can't alter it, so its not
> really a parameter in the conventional sense.

"params negotiation" does not necessarily mean "current ALSA PCM hw
params negotiation". channels count? (sometime format?)

And that apart, what's wrong if at setup time the audio components
negotiate the best possible way to communicate?

It makes you laugh?

> and there's a practical point that if anyone tries to alter the period
> size, the requirement/guarantee of perfect synchronicity seems rather
> hard to meet. you could only do that by enforcing a single period
> size, and then there's not much point in having an API that lets you
> set, is there?
>
> Abramo, why do you think ASIO and VST (not to mention ReWire) exist as
> totally separate API's? do you think that steinberg have missed the
> obvious, or that they lack imagination, or that they are malicious or
> what?

Be more technical, please. You're putting your words in my mouth.

I'd recommend you short messages: you know, in some context your
undoubtful ars retorica skill tend to decrease s/n ratio ;-))))

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!