Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: laaga, round 2
From: Jim Peters (jim_AT_aguazul.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 01:57:50 EEST

Abramo Bagnara wrote:
> I draw a scenario: we are developing an hard disk recorder application,
> and we are using a big intermediate buffer for writing. Suppose that for
> some reasons this buffer becomes full, I see the following alternatives:
> a) abort application (!)
> b) wait for some space on buffer and hope that this will not cause an
> xrun
> c) discard audio data (?)
> c) other more complex tricks?
>
> So I think that it's not a blasphemy to assert that some engine may
> choose b).

The trouble with (b) is that the audio buffer will be tiny in
comparison to this `big intermediate buffer', and if we've already
filled this big buffer, the chances are that we'll very quickly
overflow the audio buffer too. It's something like that the audio
buffer will only buy us another 2% space, so it's hardly worth it. It
might be better to have a 90%-full alarm go off on the big buffer, so
that the user gets some warning when things get a bit tight (even if
it doesn't actually overflow), so that they can adjust the
configuration for next time.

Anyway, I think this is the job of the plugin, and we don't have to
worry about that in the engine itself.

Jim

--
 Jim Peters         /             __   |  \              Aguazul