Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 16:37:53 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >Paul, I'm a wrong if I affirm that the same instruction/data cache
> >pollution is caused by plugin/component invocation in one-process
> >approach?
>
> Yes and no.

This thread is becoming more and more instructive ;-)

I've spent some time to make a simple program to compare both approach.

I've attached it.

Results are (cost of multithreaded approach un UP, 1.3ms period time)
- AMD K6 II 333 Mhz: ~1.5% CPU for each worker
- Pentium III 800 Mhz: ~0.4% CPU for each worker

I'd like that someone measures the benefits for SMP.

If we agree on substantial correctness of test program, we may use this
numbers to make further decisions.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!

ctx.c