Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 17:16:08 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> I've spent some time to make a simple program to compare both approach.
>
> what is this program for? you're using multiple threads. i haven't
> seen anyone suggest this. it has neither the benefits of the
> multiprocess case nor the single-threaded case. i don't understand.

It's a program to measure the actual cost of context switch (that AFAIK
is equal for different thread or different processes). The same program
may be written with shm and fork.

However I cannot believe you don't see the benefits of a multithreaded
approach:
- big improvement for components that can run in parallel on SMP
machines
- greater crash safety

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!