Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Jussi Laako (jlaako_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 22:46:18 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> As I've mentioned in my earlier message today, multiple threads means
> multiple deadlines. Even if we assume IPC has zero cost, scheduling is
> still a problem. If you have 30 threads/processes participating in the
> audio processing, that means each of those threads must get enough
> processor time during the <5ms timeframe we have...

I'd like to recommend trying GNU Pth for threading in audio applications.
I've got very good results by using it because it's not pre-emptive
threading and so programmer can control context switches.

It's portable and has very nice API.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers