Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 17:18:01 EEST

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:55:22AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >In multi thread you can kill/restart a blocked component without to
> >restart the whole engine.
> >
> >With single thread this is not feasible
>
> disagree. assuming you can detect the blocked component, you just
> avoid running it any more (i.e. remove it from the list of active
> components). you might also instantiate a new instance of it (though
> this is unlikely to solve whatever problem caused it to block).

True, but if a plugin in a multi thread system blocks the others can just
carry on and the blocked plugin can be ignored. Not that I think that
is very useful.

If a single threaded plugin blocks you have to poke the master process
which will have to disable the blocked process, I don't think you could do
this without xruns across the board.

> we do something like this in ardour, though its user driven - i have
> to frequently "turn off" steve's retroflanger because its not
> RT-friendly with certain settings. you can turn it off, adjust the

Ooops, what goes wrong exactly? Sorry if you've allready reported this, I
must have missed it.

- Steve