Re[2]: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2

Subject: Re[2]: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 17:17:24 EEST

I guess I am a bit confused about the discussion of bus models.
Someone please fill me in :) I own a Mackie CFX12 which has only 4
buses. Now, if I am not mistaken, the buses are what I can assign
channels of the mixer to, and then the buses can be assigned to the
master output. Now what I do not understand is how this would not be
complimented with a 'patchbay' type approach. For instance, each
channel has inserts pre or post, and all items can be sent to the two
effects channels. However, if I wanted to string a bunch of effects
units together, I would have to do it seperately from the mixer.

Now, I would be in favor of an interface like quasimodo, where you
graphically attach all components together with virtual patch cables.
What I do not like is a 'patch-bay' that has to be in-between, there
is no reason for it. It just adds confusion by adding another
component, that in a computer is really doing nothing. Likewise, I
imagine, that if you keep the mixing part and the plugin part
seperate, things are real easy then.

If I have misunderstood anything, please let me know. I am trying to
understand the approach so that I may add to help to the discussion in
constructive ways :)

Rick