Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: costs of IPC
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 22:09:08 EEST

> Jay Ts wrote:
> >
> > Abramo, I'm wondering about something. Maybe you've told us this
> > before, but if so, I've skimmed over it. Can you tell us, in 200
> > words or less, why you feel that a multiprocess approach is so
> > vital to support? That is, what do you want to do that would require
> > it, and would not be possible with the single process (minimized/no
> > IPC or context switching) approach?
>
> 200 words... far less ;-)
>
> - performance (for SMP machine)
> - greater robustness
> - integration of audio applications not written as pure component

Oops ... let me rephrase my question: Suppose I do not under *any*
circumstances (hypnosis, propaganda, torture, blackmail... :-) believe
the first two. Can you give us a specific example of an application,
maybe even a 'killer app', that *needs* the multi-process support,
and simply wouldn't be possible to implement otherwise?

I've been thinking, if the app is allowed to function as its own
process, using IPC, it will be a fully-fledged Unix process and have
access to system resources and features it wouldn't have if it were
running as a function call, through a plugin API. Or is this not
correct?

- Jay Ts
jayts_AT_bigfoot.com