Re: [linux-audio-dev] Davis votes for MP, news at 11

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Davis votes for MP, news at 11
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 18:17:50 EEST

>I think MP programming is reasonably simple if you have a middleware that
>does the communication for you. Thats why aRts has that heavy kind of net-
>work transparency built in. It's quite straight forward to make objects
>receive change notifications of models with aRts, even although there is
>a net in between. I.e. you can easily implement sliders and things in a way
>that they access a model, and are connected.

the problems i see are:

    1) libsigc++ takes care of *SO* much that i find it
           hard to imagine working without it. the idea of
           implementing callback lists in C just makes me
           want to stop programming these days :)

    2) wrapping every public method for every object in the "dsp" side of
           Ardour that can touched by the GUI, so that it can
           be handled by an RPC scheme.

Somebody has written an RPC version of libsigc++, but I've never used
it and I don't know its status.

>Put this together with the notion of a CORBA-like RPC scheme, programming
>sound apps with multiple processes becomes quite acceptable.

But yes, I can see that CORBA-like schemes are specifically designed
to address these kinds of programming issues. Its just its
significantly more work, especially when the notification cannot be
delivered "normally" if it occurs from within the audio thread(s). Not
that this happens much, if at all, however ...

--p