Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA restrictions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA restrictions
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 18:09:38 EEST

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 09:18:53AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I don't think I understand what you mean by event, I was thinking of
> >something like MIDI clock count, or SMPTE sync.
>
> An event would be anything that changed the state of the system.

So, change of sample rate or similar?

> >Why is it critical to prevent an app from responding to an event before
> >its time?
>
> Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You can't allow the plugins to do their
> thing before the *engine* has processed the event. If you did, they
> would be processing data using the old state of the system, which
> should have been altered before they got busy.

Doesn't that mean it can't happen part way through a block? It isn't
critical anyway, if there is a system wide saving htat can be made then
its probably better to do it there. There are fairly few algorithms that
actually care what size the blocks are (within reason).

- Steve