Re: [linux-audio-dev] matrix model vs. memory

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] matrix model vs. memory
From: Bill Evans (wevans_AT_mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 00:21:16 EEST

Hello,

I'm new to the list, so I thought I'd start with a quick introduction. I'm a
digital audio hardware/software designer (like most folks here).
Specifically, I'm doing research for an open source Linux DAW. (Another list
member, Taybin Rutkin, is a collaborator.) This project is called Splunge.

I've worked with Paul on Ardour, and much of my introduction to the Linux
digital audio community was through him. (As always, thanks, Paul.)

Part of my research is the audio matrix being discussed, so I thought I
might explain some of my thinking in reference to some of the issues being
raised. Please note that much of this work is currently in the theoretical
phase--I very much appreciate feedback and analysis.

I think Paul has stated the immediate issues dead on. I realized memory
efficiency would be an inherent problem in its design, but felt that this
was an acceptable trade-off.

There's a lot more information on the matrix at our site, but I'm a little
hesitant to send folks there just yet, as the site isn't finished, yet.

Bill Evans