Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 23:30:25 EEST

> 2) are buffers associated with input ports, output ports, both or neither?

I feel that everything can be accomplished by either input ports only or
output ports only, so there is no need for both. A matrix will be full
if each output declares which inputs it will be sent to. A matrix will
also be full if each input declares which outputs it will gather from.
So it simply depends on whether one sees a matrix as a collection of
inputs, each with its own list of outputs to gather from, or a
collection of outputs, each with its own list of inputs to send to.
There is no need, within a single matrix, to have some connections
defined one way and others defined the other way simultaneously. Just
choose one. The choice depends on how you see the push vs. pull thing.
I have a pull, the force of attraction (some call it love), perspective
on the entire universe so I see each input as a point of convergence for
multiple outputs rather than each output being a point of divergence to
multiple inputs, with the listener being the ultimate convergence
point. So from the perspective of the converging input, a node, the
only thing that I see as being necessary is the list of output ports
that will converge at that node. My vote is for output ports only.

Tom