Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 19:44:39 EEST

Abramo wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > A few more items to ease your digestive processes :)
>
> I don't understand where this discussion is going...
>
> It seems to me that to focus on implementation before to have defined an
> external design and to have made the needed political choices is rather
> sick and IMHO a waste of time.

I read that and thought, this is really about balance. On one extreme,
trying to implement something with no prior design is certainly a waste
of time. On the other extreme, a never-ending "design by committee",
with nothing ever produced, is also a waste of time.

We need to focus on a balance of design and implementation. When I
am faced with this issue in my own life, I stop and ask myself,
"Well, what parts am I really clear about, and know for sure I won't
later regret doing?" If we have anything that now, then maybe it's
time to start writing code. Otherwise, a little more design may be
in order.

Make sense? Agree?

> I'm a bit discouraged :-(

Don't be discouraged. :) :) Keep dreaming and thinking!

- Jay Ts
jayts_AT_bigfoot.com