Re: [linux-audio-dev] a central problem with *any* Port model?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a central problem with *any* Port model?
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 21:37:01 EEST

Oops, I seem to have made up a new address for lad while replying to
this message from the old address, so I'm giving it another try.
Appologies if the first one actually worked.

> But wait a minute! Oh my, this is much worse than I thought. Much
> worse. There isn't *any* way to monitor the input of a Port in
> general! If it happens to be a port on a Driver that is controlling an
> audio h/w interface, then its possible. But in the general case, the
> notion of monitoring a Port is nonsensical - there is no mechanism to
> do it.
>

> Gulp. This seems bad.
>

> How can anyone build a disk recorder that cannot monitor its input
> effectively?

Maybe it's not so bad. The audio interface inputs can be monitored by
the Driver. All other signals come from output ports, and they can be
monitored. Or am I completely missing something?

Tom