Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SoundBOX API revised and commented
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 19:54:32 EEST

Karl MacMillan wrote:

> > /* Open wanted flows */
> > soundbox_flow_open
> >

> What are flows? Connections between components?

Connection to a port. A port may have many flow associated.

> > /* Prepare boxes for work */
> > soundbox_prepare
> >
> > while(!end) {
> > for each input {
> > soundbox_flow_wait
> > soundbox_flow_begin
> > }
> > for each output {
> > soundbox_flow_wait
> > soundbox_flow_begin
> > }
> > /* I assume that elaboration transfer directly data from
> > inputs to outputs */
> > elaborate
> > for each input
> > soundbox_flow_commit(output, ...)
> > for each output
> > soundbox_flow_commit(output, ...)
> > }
>
> What does commit do? I am sorry, but I still don't understand this api.

It's a way to communicate to soundbox that we have completed read/write.
Soundbox will make the appropriate actions. I've stolen this term from
ALSA (that in turn have stolen it from SQL jargon).

> Can you describe the components - possibly with comparison to components
> in the other apis described.

I don't understand what you mean with "components". In past we have
called "audio component" what I now call with a more poetic term
"soundbox".

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!