Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 09:37:49 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >Remember: an hardware PCM *is* a soundbox and no hardware PCM known
> >handle float.
>
> this is a detail that should not be apparent in an API that aims at
> abstracting an audio system. the same comment applies to stuff like:
>
> #define SOUNDBOX_PORT_PROPERTY_BUFFER_SHAPE /* interleaved, noninterleaved,
> complex */
>
> if a hardware PCM "component" exports this kind of stuff, we're in no
> better shape than using ALSA when it comes to abstraction.

If I don't export it, you lose efficiency is this what you want?

Really, but what's the problem to have a property to communicate with
soundbox that you *want* non interleaved buffers.

> >> 1. The API will be easier to understand and use, less worrying about
> >> implementing for multiple data-types or worrying about conversion.
> >
> >No conversion, no difficulties, only
> >
> >soundbox_port_set_property(port, SOUNDBOX_PORT_PROPERTY_FORMAT, FLOAT32)
>
> what is supposed to call this? when is it supposed to be called? when
> a connection is being attempted?

When you write all questions in the same raw, it's a lapsus e-mailae
revealing you're not so much interested in answer? ;-)

> what is supposed to call this?

soundbox user/client

> when is it supposed to be called?

after soundbox_open and soundbox_get_port (but I've already written this
http://eca.cx/lad/2001/May/0427.html)

> when a connection is being attempted?

Please define "connection".

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!