Re: [linux-audio-dev] developers and development: some thoughts

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] developers and development: some thoughts
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 13:16:19 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:

<snip>
> So I'm wondering: Is there any interest in a division into LAD/systen
> and LAD/apps ?

good idea.

how about linux-audio-user ?
as to topics, i'd propose everything about linux audio *except*
"getting-my-soundcard-to-work" type questions. let's by all means
leave this to linux-sound and alsa-user.

douglas, i heard you still have bandwidth to spare on
roar.music.columbia.edu ?
let's go for it.

somebody (i think juhana) suggested an announce list as well.
i don't see the need for that. announcements of new projects should
go to devel, and announcements of new releases should go to dave for
his "new additions" section. that's what most people read, anyway.

> And as ever, I'm still somewhat dismayed at the number of Linux audio
> coders who are *not* present in LAD traffic. I don't know why this
> should be so: for the most part, LAD members tend to be helpful, very
> bright, and definitely doing Good Things.

my humble guess is that most people tend to either not discuss with
others about their stuff at all or are following more specialized
mailing lists. understandable.

if LAAGA or whatever it's called by now will finally take off, we
might have the Grand Unifying Audio Layer that will draw the
attention of the rest of the audio world to LAD. i don't think we
need to worry that some people are not reading this list (yet).
wait until ardour has hit the news and the first interaction of two
independent audio apps is displayed on a linux show.

btw, i have said this before, but suse ships the ladspa sdk already.

> I've received some messages
> from disgruntled developers who felt that traffic is rather heavily
> dominated by only a few people, but I see that as a natural outcome of
> the interested and capable parties coming together to get something
> done.
<not really relevant>
well, this is a pretty lame thing to say. this list has a *very*
civilised and friendly tone. tell those crybabies to go to lkml to
see how life is. this argument only holds water in spoken
discussions, where more verbose people (even if they're benevolent)
might prevent others from making their point, but not on mailing
lists.
</>

all the best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany