Re: [linux-audio-dev] Float to int conversions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Float to int conversions
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 18:48:54 EET

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> many other platforms (e.g. MIPS) do float<->int phenomenally well just
> via a cast. it seems to me that it would be "cleverer" to define a
> portable solution, if you're going to be willing to use autoconf, that
> defines FLOAT_TO_INT, but make it platform specific and possibly a
> no-op if the platform's cast does the job properly.

Perhaps this is a naive question, but shouldn't we be having this
discussion with the maintainers of egcs/gcc? Methinks the easiest way to
handle this would be to optimize the cast mechanism to work properly with
Intel hardware. Or is there a deeper issue here I'm ignorant of?

Cheers!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the |
| system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed, |
| analyzed, and replaced with new weaknesses. |
| -- Bruce Leverett |
| "Register Allocation in Optimizing Compilers" |