Re: [linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis?
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 07:23:15 EET

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 andrew_AT_acooke.org wrote:

> 4. cSound, PD, jMax (use google!) - dedicated languages/environments
> for sound synthesis. Live-performance oriented offspring of research
> projects. JMax is Java based and therefore not yet as fast as PD or
> cSound. PD is more modern but less popular than cSound.

> cSound et al scare me - I've tried working with sprawling Linux
> projects before and there's also something that doesn't work.

jmax and pd are both max-based (commericial mac software, many other
platforms?). i found jmax to be very unstable and it has poor alsa
support (unless you like 0.5.11 and can use it), whereas pd is stable and
has great alsa support. pd also has much lower latency. i tried using
csound (unrelated to max) years ago and could not figure it out enough to
hear anything, so it "scares" me as well. but pd is graphically based and
easy to use. their are also tons of pd, max and jmax files out there (pd
and jmax both have their own format, but they can also read and save max
files, so you can move jmax files to pd if you install jmax). i have more
pd files than i can check out in a month, if not several months.

> aRTs seems like it's more general and heading for success - but I'm
> left wondering why I've seen no mention of it here over the last few
> weeks...

i found arts very restrictive and limited (about 6 months ago), esp. in
real-time. if not in real-time, it's very easy to use and small learning
curve. pd has a higher learning curve, but it's easy to get started,
unlike csound. from what i can tell, you can do just about anything you
need to with pd, and it's not that hard to figure out (no real programming
involved). in fact, the only thing that makes arts so easy is it's
advanced gui, but it takes just as much brain power to design things in
arts as it would in pd.

fwiw,
dave