Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] minimum tick time

Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] minimum tick time
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 23:37:14 EET

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > I'm strongly against a module parameter for that.
> > We'd need an API call for tick source selection and a new ioctl, but I
> > don't like very much the sequencer API way, I'd prefer something like:
> >
> > timer_fd = open(timer);
> > pcm_fd = open(pcm);
> > ioctl(pcm_fd, TICK_SOURCE, timer_fd);
>
> Hmm, why not like this?
>
> timer_id_alloca(&timer_id);
> timer_id_set_id(timer_id, blah);
> pcm_set_timer_source(pcm, timer_id); // ioctl(pcm_fd, TICK_SOURCE, timer_id);
>
> and that's what done in sequencer, too.
> the open(timer) above needs to pass the appropriate timer id anyway.
>
> ok, module parameter is not necessarily required.
> it's only for the purpose to set the "default" timer source.
> could such a thing be defined in asound.conf?

Yes, of course. Only I'm not sure whether to have a default different
than system timer is sensible.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!