[linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 18:43:54 EET

friends - there is an important question to be made about the
licensing for JACK. i suspect the answer will be simple for most of
us, but it needs to be asked.

right now, the JACK source code is released under the GPL. this would
prohibit non-free programs from using JACK. it therefore seems more
appropriate for me to change the license to the LGPL. a small part of
me is resistant to that idea - i think that JACK is an amazing idea
and i don't see why we should allow people who don't play in the free
software arena to benefit. but this rapidly appears as an example of
cutting off one's nose to spite one's face - if Emagic released Logic
for Linux tomorrow, wouldn't we want them to be able to use JACK as
well?

so, are there are any arguments against using LGPL?

--p