[linux-audio-dev] Re: jack

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: jack
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 02:05:33 EET

>* when running 'sh autogen.sh':
> configure.in: 55: required file `./ltconfig' not found

this is not an error. ask the libtool folks. also, i recommend libtool
1.4.2, which fixes a number of bugs in libtool (and introduces ton of
new ones one libltdl, sigh).

>* it would be nice not to have to 'make install' for some quick testing.
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't seem to bother jackd.

this is a problem with every libtool+(lt_)dlopen based program. i am
seriously inclined to stop using libtool for this very reason. its
really hard to get programs built with libtool that use shared and
dynamic linking to work without installing them first.

>* jackd fails with
> can't load "/usr/local/lib/jack_alsa.so": /usr/local/lib/jack_alsa.so:
> undefined symbol: jack_driver_input_monitor_notify
>
> although driver.o seems to be linked into jack_alsa.so.

fixed in CVS. sorry about that, it happened while i was trying to
split out what should be LGPL'ed and what should not.

on a generic note: if JACK is to succeed, it will need quite a lot of
people to contribute to it. i am already totally involved in ardour,
and other people will need to step up and deal with documentation and
stuff like that. i obviously plan to continue working on the JACK
source, particularly as i get ardour closer to working with
it. rythmnlab was harder than ardour will be, except for a few core
issues with JACK's API that i'm not sure how to solve right
now. example? in ardour, we use AudioEngine::audible_frame() for some
very important things (e.g. drawing the playhead cursor on the
screen). its not clear how to do this within the context of JACK's
abstraction model.

--p