[linux-audio-dev] Compiling LL kernel for AMD without 3DNOW

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Compiling LL kernel for AMD without 3DNOW
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 12:36:40 EET

Hello,

an LL kernel for AMD Athlon without the 3DNOW optimizations

I still get the undefined references to the
*_mmx_* functions. I am perfectly sure that I really recompiled
it all, and to demonstrate it, here follow the steps I toke:

I try it with a freshly unpacked kernel, as follows:

$ rm -rf linux
$ rm -rf linux-2.4.10-LL/
$ tar xIf linux-2.4.10.tar.bz2
$ mv linux linux-2.4.10-LL
$ ln -s linux-2.4.10-LL linux
$ cd linux
$ patch -p1 < ../2.4.10-low-latency.patch
$ make xconfig

I set my Processor Family to Athlon/Duron/K7, turn of
SMP (why is that set by default?), turn on low latency
and low latency sys ctl, configure my SCSI and Ethernet
drivers to be compiled as modules, and leave the rest
of the options at their defaults.

I now edit my .config, commenting out the line, changing
CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW=y
# CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW is not set

I edit the top Makefile, setting
EXTRAVERSION = -LL-AMD-NO3DNOW

and I compile with
$ make dep
$ make

and get the undefined references!!

Now, I try what Dave suggests:

$ cp .config ../2.4.10-config
$ make mrproper
$ cp ../2.4.10-config .config
$ make oldconfig
$ make dep
$ make

and _AGAIN_ I get the undefined references.

So I am really wondering now: what am I doing different? I mean
you _did_ indeed compile the kernel for AMD without 3DNOW, did you?

Maarten