[linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 14:20:09 EET

I made a webpage with the several tests I did. Please have a look
at it. I ran tune_disk /dev/hda, and

do_tests none 3 256 0 2048
(indeed a really small size for the disk i/o test, but I was more
interested in the rest)

http://193.145.55.36/latencytest

The soundcard I use is a Trident 4DWave NX, drivers are latest alsa .

First of all, it is really strange that
2.4.10-NO-LL-386
2.4.10-LL-386
are practically identical; it is as if the low latency patch is not
working. Maybe I missed something here, but if cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency
gives me 1, I can be sure it is on, isn't it?

The 2.4.14-LL-PIII test have bad disk results (ran with large size btw). No
idea why. How do I solve that?

The best results seem to be the 2.4.14-LL-386, but here the alsa-lib/test/latency
gives me underruns,
./latency -r 44100 -m 512 -M 512 -t 1 -p
XRUNs right away.
./latency -r 44100 -m 1024 -M 1024 -t 1 -p
does work but - and this is very important - the sound get fucked up
(dusty vinyl record effect). I can record this and make a soundfile
available for download if anybody is interested.

Maarten