Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 00:36:47 EET

>> nope. the function jack_rechain_graph() rearranges the FIFO's that
>> connect each client, so that what karl described happens. in the above
>> code, the JACK server writes to the first fd in the chain, then waits
>> for either a read on the last fd, or a timeout. the "subchain" could
>> have involved a dozen clients while the server stays asleep.
>
>ok, may this be then qualified by the phrase "really cool"? must we
>resort to expletives to describe how cool this is? :-))

heh. this is what you get for being a linux audio developer who once
worked in a CS department (*). my first job there was maintaining a
C++ user level thread package called Presto. despite have no
background in threads, it immediately struck me as ridiculous (once i
understand what a context switch was) that in Presto, you always
switched back to the scheduler thread when moving between threads,
even there was an explicit handoff. some things you just never forget :)

of course, then i discovered that the hack someone had made to cfront
(the original C++ compiler) to support the per-thread variable keyword
"private" wasn't working, and so i had to learn about compilers next :)

--p

(*) which is also, by side effect, how i know bit more about the
    history of gstreamer than i should :)