Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 18:28:19 EET

> There are VM tuning parameters in /proc/sys/vm/vm_*_ratio files.
> Lowering these values tend to bring better latency results.

Any recommended reading about this?

I reinstalled my system (needed to do that for a while now anyway)
to be crispy clean. Look at the latest results.

http://www.iua.upf.es/~mdeboer/latency)

(I will put new tests here instead of on my testing machine)

It starts to look better. However, as you can see there are some ugly
peaks remaining during disk write test. What would be the way to trace
the cause of these peaks?

Meanwhile, the alsa-lib/test/latency test still sounds like crap, and any
sample rate, and in both modes. I really believe this only happens when
I compile my kernel for 386/586 instead of AMD K7.

It would be really nice if somebody could repeat my tests on identical or
similar hardware (AMD Athlon, Trident 4DWave NX), with the same versions
of kernel, patch, and alsa (latest cvs that is). I will try with a es1371
to see what happens with the alsa I/O...

Maarten