Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio dependency rendering - an idea

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio dependency rendering - an idea
From: Robert Jonsson (jonsson.robert_AT_home.se)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 09:52:39 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:31:11PM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> (long snip)
>
> I've thought about much the same thing.
>
> It's worth noting that, as long as you're working with tools that can
> be driven from the command line, make (1) can do all that - that's
> what it's for!
>
> I've heard from at least one guy on the csound list who works heavily
> with make, by breaking the piece into many short sections and many
> sub-orchestras, and using a simple mixer orc/sco to combine everything
> and arrange the sections. This means that large pieces that would take
> all night to render can be worked on in near-realtime.

Yeah, I recall reading about this to! Very interesting approach, however it's
incredibly complex to use for others than people who's native language is
make-scripts.

> and of course, for backing up or emailing such a monster, "make clean"
> is really handy!

Yes, but only if all your data is generated, like the C-sound example.

> But writing a non-trivial makefile is... not trivial. In fact it's a
> pain, at least for me. I'd love make-like functionality to be
> integrated into a DAW / sequencer system. I think it'd be a big job,
> but extremely powerful.

I've been thinking about scripting dependency rendering ontop of ecasound (think
it wouldn't be that hard actually). But time (and longterm motivation) prevents
me from doing anything of it.
Also, ecasound has no clear connection to midi-sequencing which makes it more of
a "test" then generally useful to implmement it.

> I have some half-assed ideas along these lines on my web page, in the
> "old weird hacks & pipe dreams" section; it includes a (quite ugly)
> mockup "screenshot".
> http://www.slinkp.com/code/#smake

/Robert