Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: using realplay without x

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: using realplay without x
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 07:26:52 EET

> Well, no. It'll start the restricted set of programs that can
> actually run without their interface, but aren't bright enough to
> detect there is no X server running.

   either you misread or i didn't make myself clear. the above will not do
   what you wrote, but what i wrote, but only if x is already running on
   display 0 (standard). the other option is to use the frame buffer if for
   some reason you don't want to run x at all or can't (like an embedded
   system). but that's complicated and i always have x running.

I guess I must have misread -- your original question was

> does anybody know how to startup realplay without having x running? or at
> least from cron when x is running? or a command-line version?

and you followed it up with

> nevermind. i found on realnetworks.com they have a unix forum and all
> three of my questions have been answered. the most simple (with x):
> DISPLAY=0:0 realplay /mnt/public/wava.ram
>
> so, "DISPLAY=0:0 programname options" will start any x program (should be
> useful in init scripts, as i'd like to have pd to be up-and-running on a
> (re)boot when in a performance mode).

What that's doing is setting an environment variable to tell realplay
that there is an X server, becasue apparently it will refuse if you try
to run it when X isn't running. But then it apparently is able to get
by without communicating with the server, otherwise it would crash.
This approach will not work for a program that actually requires its
GUI, because it would indeed crash when it was unable to communicate
with it. And I'd expect a program that could run without its GUI to
be able to see it didn't have an environment variable set for the
server, and to proceed on that basis. Hence my comment. I'm not
quite sure what the framebuffer has to do with it...

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002