Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 11:35:18 EET

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 16:06, D. Stimits wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
> >
> > Updated information, looks like I answered my own question. Take a look
> > at:
> > http://bjorn.haxx.se/isd200/
> >
> > Which is linked off of the Archos technical support page with a link
> > called "JukeBox Recorder - Linux Driver" :) Its cool to see companies at
> > least noticing that Linux does exist. Of course you still don't see it
> > mentioned in product requirements that much.
> > So this means that the JukeBox Recorder will act just like a USB hard
> > disk device, so easy transferring of files (not just MP3s).. Kind of
> > cool! Of course I haven't figured out if I can get one for the US, I see
> > (EU, AUS, JP and UK) I don't think any of those cover US power supplies?
>
> I wonder what filesystem type is used for the partition? Anyway, as far
> as power goes, I would think that if it uses batteries, then it has an
> AC-to-DC converter, and those tend to be available generically for any
> possible DC output value. So if you knew the connector and
> voltage/current requirements, it might not matter if the AC adapter it
> comes with is for 50 Hz and non-US voltages. This assumes it is battery
> operated, I have no idea if it is so, but I would suspect it with any
> portable mp3 or disk device. It might be tricky if they have a
> proprietary connector on it, and even if they don't, they might say it
> voids the warranty using someone else's adapter.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com

I did some more investigating, the URL that was posted was for
/uk/products/blah, I only caught that later when I did a search on the
net. So I found the US version. It appears that it uses vfat for the
filesystem, it basically just acts like a USB drive, although you do
need drivers for the chip on it. It has 4 AA rechargeable batteries. On
that URL I posted about the Linux driver there is a link to a page on
the same site that shows the dissection of the JukeBox Recorder and at
the bottom is a link to a page that shows how to upgrade the hard disk
in the device :) Not that I would really need more than 6GB. I found
some reviews on the Recorder Jukebox, and it sounds like it has a built
in microphone and pretty good recording interface (choose your sampling
rate, MP3 quality and record level). It will also record from a digital
in (can't remember what interface, SPDIF maybe?) Anyways, I'll stop
advertising this thing. Although looking at it, I became rather excited,
especially after seeing positive Linux support :)

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)