Re: [linux-audio-dev] memory management

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] memory management
From: Andy Wingo (apwingo_AT_eos.ncsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 20:32:54 EET

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> In message <20011126144547.D9878_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk>you write:
> >On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 12:50:00AM -0800, Josh Green wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree completely. But what we do need is a way to easily embed an
> >> editor with other audio type programs, such as Smurf :) Are we still of
> >> the opinion that this is not possible or worth while?
> >
> >Based on some mighmarish memories of the last time I did any Windows
> >programming, isn't that what OLE (now COM+?) is supposed to do, and isn't
> >Bonobo supposed to be the linux equivalent? I'm sure KDE has something
> >similar too.
>
> i think this way lies madness, or at least possible foolishness.
[snip]

i do not understand. say i'm making a sw clone of the korg es-1
'rhythm production sampler'. i need to edit the samples somehow, and
then later apply some effects probably. what is the set of operations
that i would want an editor to perform on the sample? (i don't know a
better term than 'sample' here; perhaps i'll call it a clip.)

- read in from a file
- write to a file

and all the interface is provided by the waveform editor 'control' (to
use bonobo terminology). what is complicated about that? i could be
showing my ignorance here, but i sure would like to pull a waveform
editor in as a bonobo control. i don't understand, for this application,
your argument about 'similar' vs 'dissimilar'.

best regards,

wingo.