Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA revisited (was: LAAGA and supporting programs)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA revisited (was: LAAGA and supporting programs)
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 19:16:12 EEST

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

[ Discussion snipped ]

There are basically two "very" general parts of any Audio Interprocess
Communication library:
A: a way to exchange (efficiently) data of any type/size, i.e. a
    shared mem passing library with some sort of wakeup mechanism
B: a "protocol" to have two clients (or a client a server) fight
    for the semantics / specifications of the data

What Paul is voting for is to have just one "protocol" (at least for now),
so we can drop the need for B and magically A turns (with some additional
static cruft from the missing B) out to be LAAGA (or whatever).

Richard is voting to have both APIs to allow maximum flexibility.

I'm just fearing that while there are those two basic fundamental
APIs they're going to be hidden and crippled by any of the suggested
implementations.

So please - go the easy way, drop the need for B, but _dont_ intermix
A with the resulting API (so you can add B later without lots of hassle).

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/