[linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...<g>

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...
From: Brent A. Busby (brent_AT_telepath.catmind.org)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 02:26:49 EEST

I admit I'm certainly a newcomer to this list, and this is my first post,
but I was wondering...

After having read many of the threads going on here, it seems that a lot
of the problems we're facing with i/o latency and cached writes and the
like deal with the way the kernel handles the filesystem, and trying to
code around that might not be the best way in a free OS such as ours.

Linux and GNU always pride themselves on being modifiable by the people
who use them. So is it possible that, if we're having such a burden
coming up with decent algorithms for working through these problems in
userland, maybe someone like Alan Cox or Linus Torvalds or their legion of
developers might be able to do something to the kernel itself that would
make things generally all-around easier for the whole audio developer
world? I know they're busy, but this would be no small benefit.
Obviously, the low-latency patches that exist are not quite enough to get
us all the way there. Why should we struggle like this in userland
forever when it might be attacking the wrong end of the problem?

Sorry if these comments are too dumb, I'll be quiet now... :-)