Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...<g>

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 18:05:26 EEST

>I wonder if Robert Love's kernel pre-emption patches would make
>this better. Has anybody tried them extensively? From what I've
>heard on the kernel mailing list, people are _very_ happy with
>them. (Happy == xmms skips once in a blue moon with uptime loads
>of >10, including hitting the VM and disk hard.) I'm using it
>here, but I'm not doing anything extensive. (Yet :).

From what I've read, they don't do quite as good a job as Andrew
Morton's low latency patches in eliminating all kernel stalls. They
work better in dealing with some common stalls, however.

>Addendum to Paul's reply: I think ASIO on Windows is able to get
>such low latencies because it requires specific ASIO drivers for
>sound cards, and these drivers bypass the normal kernel mixers
>etc.

Thats not it, though this is certainly true. The scheduling latency in
Windows is simply better than in mainstream Linux. Linux, like most
Unix-related OS's, was designed around high throughput, not low
scheduling latency. Thankfully, given the source, its been possible to
change that :)

--p