Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...<g>

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 01:40:07 EEST

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, John Lazzaro wrote:

>> If an application uses a callback model, and even better, if it uses
>> JACK's callback model, then it can send and receive data to and from
> It took around 3 weeks of design and coding to set sfront up to handle
> audio drivers that used callbacks -- so for some sorts of applications,
> at least, its a pretty straightforward retrofit. The sfront changes were

True. And I don't think using callbacks is actually the big thing in LAAGA
- it's synchronous operation. Basicly it's just the same whether:

(1) - client has registered callbacks (client app)
        - library sleeps on socket (libjack.so)
        - wake up (libjack.so)
        - call registered client callback (libjack.so)
        - execute the callback (client app)

... or ...

(2) - client issues a blocking library call (client app)
        - in the function, we sleep on a socket (libjack.so)
        - wake up (libjack.so)
        - return from the blocking call (libjack.so)
        - do processing and issue another blocking call (client)

So no real difference there. The really important features are:
        - only one component is active at a time (not including
          separate disk i/o, midi i/o, etc subsystems)
        - it's an error condition if next component in
          the execution chain a) is not ready for wakeup
          when its turn comes, or b) is not able to complete
          its turn in time
        - because of the above requirements, a system-wide
          blocksize and sample-rate must be used

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!