Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing PortAudio V16

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing PortAudio V16
From: douglas irving repetto (douglas_AT_music.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 20:08:33 EEST

dave willis wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Phil Burk wrote:
>
> > PortAudio is an abstraction layer that sits on top of existing audio APIs.
> > It is efficient and does not add any latency of its own. Many developers
> > have contributed to this open-source project. We now support:
> >
> > Windows: WMME, DirectSound, ASIO(alpha)
> > Macintosh: Sound Manager (Carbon compatible), Core Audio (alpha), ASIO
> > Unix: OSS (beta) for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.
> > also SGI (beta) and BeOS (alpha).
>
> what? no "Linux: alsa?"
> useless. i'm not paying $60 for a crappy oss driver.
>
> -dave

that's interesting, i didn't know that something i use every day could
be "useless." perhaps rather than dismissing the hard work of a large
group of people, you could contribute to the effort to make the project
less "useless."

douglas

--
................................http://music.columbia.edu/~douglas