RE: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...<g>

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Lots about latency and disk i/o and JACK...
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 23:28:52 EEST

[...]
> a LADSPA control port may have its value
> changed at *any* time. there is no inherent control rate built into or
> implied by the control port. the frequency with which the plugin can
> notice the changes is limited *within the host thread that calls the
> plugin* by the audio block size, but other parts of the plugin (e.g. a
> GUI) can inspect the port at any time.
[...]

This isn't clear - a LADSPA control value can only be changed between calls
to run() on the plugin, so during that call the plugin is guaranteed that
the value will be constant. The term "control rate" becomes meaningful with
LADSPA when run() calls work on a standard block size (kr=sr/ksmps, you know
this stuff) and (implicit) control values are handled at this rate.

Incidentally, an SAOL->LADSPA compiler sounds like an interesting project.
My memory of SAOL minutae has faded, and I suspect there might be some
issues with I-time processing and the number of operators that might have to
be coded up - but otherwise I think this is probably straightforward.

--Richard