Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio V16

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio V16
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 07:09:36 EEST

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Phil Burk wrote:

> > From: dave willis <dubson_AT_dhammanet.net>
> > what? no "Linux: alsa?"
> > useless. i'm not paying $60 for a crappy oss driver.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. We want to support both OSS and ALSA. We
> implemented OSS first because it ships free with RedHat, and because ALSA
> supports the OSS API as a subset of its own API. So the current PortAudio
> should work with ALSA. Please let us know if that is not the case.

sorry for rash response. some oss-only programs i have just don't like
oss-emu, but some do. i should test it before making these comments (i
think i was sort of drunk and tired when i sent that post).

> We would also very much like to support ALSA API directly because the OSS
> subset API may not be correctly supported, and there are API extensions in
> ALSA that would make the PortAudio implementation cleaner.

yes, indeed.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, douglas irving repetto wrote:

> that's interesting, i didn't know that something i use every day could
> be "useless." perhaps rather than dismissing the hard work of a large
> group of people, you could contribute to the effort to make the project
> less "useless."

see above for my apology. it seemed useless to me at the time, but very
attractive if it did (does?) work with alsa (oss-emu?). perhaps since i'm
now finally learning c i could contribute to this project.

-dave