Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 19:22:05 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Someone had a good idea on alsa-devel to make an advertisement for the
> lowest latency achieved on a linux system. It makes sense so I'm going
> to add something to the LAU guide webring.
>
> I would like to know two things.
>
> 1: What is the lowest latency achieved so far and on what hardware.

let's not hype.
the trick with latency is not which all-time record you get *once*,
but how big a latency you will get in *worst case*, so that you can
rely on it without being hosed when a deadline is missed.

i think patrick's is a good idea, but the figures should be
reasonable and easily reproducable by users - else this nice
advertising scheme is going to backfire really badly.
so let's be conservative here, or at least make absolutely clear
that we talk about lucky cases and it's gonna be not quite as
impressive on joe user's box at home.

my .02,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany