Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 21:14:54 EEST

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 04:46:33PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > In extreme, people would have to design a new free surround format
> > and offer the decoder to amplifier manufacturers.
> What about ambisonics? I think the decoder hardware is expensive but
> aren't there some LADSPA plugins that can encode it? It's technologically
> superior to the 5.1 and 6.1 formats anyway IMHO. Though I asuming that the
> point is to produce something that can be played back on generic domestic
> equipment.

The ogg vorbis project is looking into using ambisonics for unencumbered
multichannel encoding.

http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200101/0346.html
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200106/0111.html
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200007/0030.html

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]