Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding
From: David Gerard Matthews Jr. (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:39:16 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:21:01PM +0100, Do you know if its
> posible to build a soundfield type mic using cheap elements, or does it
> require really good ones?
>
> - Steve
I read somewhere that you can buy a pair of cheapo PZM mics, and then
mount them on a piece of fiberglass with the bottoms of the plates
facing each other. (I.E., the fiberglass is between the bottoms of the
PZM plates.) Then you record with one mic's signal out of phase.
Supposedly this will give you a poor man's soundfield mic. (Haven't
actually tried it.)
-dgm