Re: [linux-audio-dev] huge latency peaks with 2.4.10-smp kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] huge latency peaks with 2.4.10-smp kernel
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 21:57:30 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >I can afford either dual Athlon 1,2GHz with EIDE disks, or single
> >Athlon 1,53MHz with SCSI Ultra160 disks. Any idea which would be best
> >(the post below emphasises the importance of SMP).
>
> i would try to get a dual motherboard with onboard SCSI. don't use
> SCSI for now; upgrade later if you need it. dual CPU's is going to
> make your life much nicer than SCSI will, i believe. OTOH, i've never
> used IDE/ATA/EIDE so its hard for me to know :)
>
> --p

Just avoid i840 chipset SMP motherboards, the IO-APIC is defective. I
would agree that getting a dual that supports U160 and buying SCSI later
would be ok, but if future SCSI disk activity is not possible at a later
date, I'd give up dual and go for a very fast single with U160.

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com