Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio from dvd?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio from dvd?
From: Andy Wingo (apwingo_AT_eos.ncsu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 05:09:07 EEST

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Peter Surda wrote:

> If someone knows a ac3->wav converter for linux I'd be very happy to know the
> URL. l52dec apparently only handles output to an audiocard.

a52dec you mean? gstreamer can do this, out of cvs right now though as things
have changed a bit since the last release afaik. if you have an ac3 file, it
would look like this:

gstreamer-launch filesrc location=/path/to/track.ac3 ! a52dec ! afsink location=out.wav type=4

I think, anyway (haven't tried it, but a52dec works fine.) If you have any
interest in this, see gstreamer.net and perhaps ask on the gstreamer-devel
mailing list.

The dvd code is undergoing some changes so I don't know its status, although you
should be able to construct a pipeline that does what you want without having to
rip the ac3 first.

cheers,

wingo