Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 05:11:30 EEST

>...sure, but Cool-Edit Professional for windows shows how often a static
>mixing [multitrack] environment is used as an intergral part of the overall
>editing project - you make a mix of several samples and dump it back in the
>editor for further processing. maybe afterwards you send it back to the
>multitracker to layer it up with other samples.
>sequencing, well that is for a very particular kind of composition.
>
>syntrillium [producer] obviously recognises that a multitracker should in
>fact come with the editor, and does a very fine job of making this work.

except that this is linux, where fork(2) is cheap, and IPC is the most
efficient available.

what reason is there for requiring a user to use *your* sample editor
when your main focus was on multitrack editing and sequencing? why not
let the user choose a 3rd party editor? suppose i prefer bias peak to
cool edit for sample editing, for example?

>in work that i do, for instance [and i am not an exception] , it isn't
>uncommon to have 70 or 80 samples open simultaneously in a composition; by
>being able to double-click a wave in the multitrack window to take me over
>to the waveform where i edit it further [without saving] and then return to

yep. just fork snd, or audacity, or gsmp, or sweep, or gnoise, or DAP
or whatever you want.

the downside is that you don't get non-destructive editing. see, the
dedicated waveform editor in your windows tool isn't really doing
sound *file* editing, its doing the same kind of non-destructive
editing that the rest of the program is doing (i.e. just rearranging
playlists).

>for this reason the ABC in my country, and several universities are
>replacing other professional editing/multitrack packages with Cool-Edit
>Pro..it is testimony that there is a wide demand for an editor and
>multitracker to be put together in an intuitive relation.

the relationship, as you noted, has more to do with "1 click away"
than it does with anything else.

however, i would agree that it is harder to make them work together if
the relationship has to be based around a stored audiofile rather than
a playlist/EDL.

personally speaking, i might just hack this feature in ardour tonight :)

--p